A Short One About Plant Miracles

I wish so hard that I had taken pictures for this post but alas! you will have to take my word for it.

I've always maintained that my property is magical. Years ago. when we moved into this house, we brought with us an old dog. She was smallish and going blind. We also brought with us a mid-life, large dog, all 120 pounds of him. Just before the move, while living at the old house with the extremely small yard (really small), the large dog crushed the small dog and practically bent her in half so that when she walked, her rear end was next to her head (really!). Dogs are amazing that way.
The doctor said it was a waste of time to do anything for her. We decided to try anyway. Many dollars later, her rear-end was where it was supposed to be. The doctor said it was all for naught, that she would not be able to walk or run and that she would die as a result. Enter my new magical back yard.

Soon after we moved into the new house, she began to walk. Not long after that, she was running along the fence playing with the neighbor lady. She lived for several years after that. Like I said, Magical.

Now I want to tell you about something that I have never seen before. On Friday evening. I went out to the cage to check on the plants. I particularly was watching a sucker from one of the tomato plants that I had unceremoniously planted on a bit of dirt in a small pot. It had finally rooted and the two sets of leaves I left on it began to grow. So there I was, Friday evening proud of the sucker for fighting for life. Two large sets of healthy, vigorous leaves were waving at me in celebration; two sets of leaves and nothing else. The next day, Saturday, around 10 am, I went out to eradicate some stumps with my ax because I am terrified of chainsaws. After I exhausted myself, I stopped by the cage and wonder of wonders, the sucker had sprouted its own sucker overnight AND it had grown to about 3 inches. OVERNIGHT!!

Believe me or not. It happened; just as I describe it. I don't have a time-stamped 'before' picture so a picture now would be meaningless.

PERSIMMONS IN MY FUTURE

TREE CUTTINGS
My tree cuttings are now in containers waiting to root. I am using a couple of methods: one is rooting the cuttings in water and nothing but water. The other is growing them in sterile planting medium (store bought) using rooting hormone. In both cases the cuttings are covered with plastic bottles to prevent drying. It has only been one week and I see no roots on any of them.

Thank you for stopping by!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Things I Don't Do In The Garden

Soil Science Shenanigans and a pair of plum trees

A Different Kind Of Garden