Working It

I finally got to the thinning of the nectarines this weekend. Thinning fruit is time consuming and I wonder if it gets easier the more you do it. For me, deciding what fruit to thin was what took the longest time. They tell you that in a twelve inch long branch you should leave two to four fruit; the problem is that branches in a nectarine tree are not neat and straight and that nectarines, like peaches, grow in bunches. Nevertheless, I think I did a good job.


You may not be able to tell by the picture but I thinned close to 500 nectarines, leaving, in my estimation, around 200 nectarines on the tree.

While thinning the fruit, it became obvious to me that I shouldn't have neglected the pruning of the tree. For sure at the end of this season, I will prune my fruit trees.

Next I will thin the peach tree which has about the same amount of fruit as the nectarine tree. Again, I wonder if it will be easier now that I have done it once.

YARD RECLAMATION PROJECT OF 2019
This weekend I made good progress in opening up the northwestern corner of my yard. For the past fifteen years, this corner has been neglected, often all I do there is to try to control all the volunteer trees that settle in. I removed the last of the fence elements that surrounded the area, which consisted of five fence posts and a door. I also removed the remnants of a shelter that was built for shade for dogs plus a number of volunteer elm and mulberry trees. I had to dig and hack their rather large stumps with an ax. My plan for this corner is a to build two or three raised beds for strawberries and other things such as lettuce and radishes.
What remains to be done is to remove the last of the Pampas Grass to prepare for the planting of more Rose Of Sharon bushes and also to remove the last 4 or so large-ish stumps from volunteer trees on the southwestern corner of my yard.
Some day soon I hope to have a yard I can proudly show off.

Thank you for stopping by!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Things I Don't Do In The Garden

Soil Science Shenanigans and a pair of plum trees

A Different Kind Of Garden