Zone 5?, Zone 6?, Twilight Zone?

This post is not for people who don't believe the climate is changing.



I want to grow a Persimmon tree. Problem is, according to the back of the little pocket of cucumber seeds I bought at the store, I live in zone 5-6ish and Persimmon trees are only supposed to be hardy (meaning they'll live through the winter) down to zone 7.

However, some years ago, the people at Arborday.org said that my area turned into zone 7 in the 90's. Is it true? Well, how about this, we didn't used to have Armadillos around here and since the 90's, we do. Armadillos couldn't make it through Kansas winters. Also, the Canadian geese used to come and leave and since the 90's, they stayed. Lastly, we started getting Bald eagles nesting right here in our fair city sometime around the year 2000, presumably because the winters are so much milder now. Is this proof undeniable? Well of course not! I know less than Jon Snow does.
And yet...

I know of at least three (3) Persimmon trees living in our city parks. Living quite well I tell you. I have seen them loaded with fruit.

Armadillos, geese, eagles, Persimmon trees. It smells an awful lot like zone 7 around here.

Thank you for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Things I Don't Do In The Garden

Soil Science Shenanigans and a pair of plum trees

A Different Kind Of Garden