Cheapskate

I was asked 'Why are you taking cuttings? Why don't you just buy the trees?"

It's a fair question. I did decide to do my gardening with as little money as possible this time around.
so in a sense I am a cheapskate.



However, there are a few reasons why cuttings are a good idea.

WINTER HARDINESS
The main reason for taking Persimmon cuttings is that I know the trees I am taking the cuttings from have survived many Winters in my area. By taking the cutting and rooting it, I ensure my Persimmon tree will also survive the Winter.

FUN
It is a lot of fun to root a cutting. There is much to learn in this hobby/business and nothing beats experience when it comes to growing plants.

PLANT CHARACTERISTICS
While walking around the park with my friend, we found several Mulberry trees. One of them gave considerably sweeter berries than the other ones. If I wanted to get the same berries, taking a cutting, which produces an identical tree, DNA-wise, is the only way to go.
Or take my Nectarine tree. That tree has produced fruit every year for over a decade while being neglected. I am definitely reproducing this tree via cuttings this year.

I am sure there other reasons but these are enough for me.

Sure, I will buy a tree now and again, like my Sassafras tree but I will keep on taking cuttings whenever possible.

Thank you for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Things I Don't Do In The Garden

Soil Science Shenanigans and a pair of plum trees

A Different Kind Of Garden